This non-profit org. is the nation’s largest dropout prevention organization and the only dropout prevention organization in the nation proven to increase on-time graduation rates.
The mission is to champion the connection of needed community resources with schools to help young people successfully learn, stay in school, and prepare for the life.
They currently serve over 2.3 million young people across the nation. By bringing caring adults into the schools to address the unmet needs of youth, they provide the link between educators and the community.
The Director of Development has the responsibility to ensure that the regional office has the resources to thrive as an organization and effectively serve our youth.
The Director of Development is instrumental in securing new funding, maintaining donor relations, and cultivating community relationships.
The Director of Development also gets to know our youth directly and has a passion for improving the education of today’s youth.
Areas of financial management and direction include: direct mail, planned giving, major gifts, donor cultivation, special events, foundation/corporate giving solicitation, online fundraising and grant writing. As the West LA office is in the initial stages of its development, the Director of Development will work closely with the Executive Director and Board of Directors to develop fundraising sources to support current operations and planned future growth.
- Directs and manages overall fund raising efforts to meet annual budget goals.
- Develops and implements strategies to broaden the funding base
- Increases donor giving through solicitation, cultivation, and stewardship
- Cultivates major gifts
- Develops and cultivates relationships with foundation and corporate representatives and leaders
- Researches and identifies potential funding sources; oversees the writing and submission of funding proposals and follow-up reports to foundations and corporations.
- Oversee, write and prepare grants and grant reports for City, County, foundations, etc.
- Oversees the planning and production of fundraising special event
- Directors the production of public relations materials such as newsletters, annual reports, brochures, and other promotional materials.
- Oversees management of the donor database, and donor recognition and gift acknowledgement tasks
- Prepares fund raising financial reports and projections
- Serves as primary staff liaison to development committee and other committees as needed. Prepares agendas for, and provides staff support for Resource Development Committee, its financial reports, prospect lists, etc.
- Serves as development staff liaison to the Board. Attends Board meetings and coordinates Board development activities.
- Bachelor’s level degree, advanced degree in nonprofit management preferred, with 3 – 5 years of increasing responsibility in fund development for a nonprofit organization.
- Must demonstrate the ability to build relations with, and raise funds from individuals, foundations, corporations and other organizations.
- Must possess extensive experience in marketing, promotions, public relations, special events, grant writing and annual fund development.
- Must exhibit strong written and oral communication skills.
- Must be experienced with budgets and financial documents.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and other office productivity tools (email, database management, digital media, etc.)
- Experience working with nonprofit organizations, preferably in the LA area and experience with youth-serving organizations a significant plus.
- Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) designation and Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) certification a plus.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Base full-time salary of $50K to $ 60k depending upon candidate qualifications and experience.
- Flexible schedule and incentive compensation, contingent on performance.
- Generous vacation time, medical and dental coverage, etc.
- A unique professional development opportunity as this position will be critical to the growth and development of this organization during the next 3-5 years.