A loving, adventurous family is seeking an engaging and active tutor to join them in a year-long trip around the world! The ideal candidate will be an experienced and reliable tutor, travel-ready, who has a background working with elementary-aged children and is familiar with their developmental and educational needs. A sense of creativity to implement the schools’ curriculum into the day to day experiences and create enriching moments is important along with flexibility, adaptability, and a positive, upbeat personality. Ideal person may have had experience as a live in or has worked extremely closely with a family and understands the proximity that the role brings to being so close to the family. MUST be dynamic and hard working. Will be traveling at the most luxurious level of travel either commercial or private. Always staying at 5 star hotels and will have a monthly stipend in addition to any meals always provided. Salary is open to a point based on experience as well as conversation open for additional perks (cell phone, computer). Will travel around the world but will be back in LA for holidays etc . Open to flights if someone is not LA based.
The tutor will be responsible for teaching and guiding two children (siblings aged 5 and 8) to maximize their learning throughout their travels to different regions around the world. The goal is to enhance the children’s understanding and cultural sixth sense through on location lessons, creative lesson plans, and interactive engagement, highlighting their experiences throughout their extensive travel. This individual must be capable of providing the extra care and attention needed for literacy and numeracy development appropriate for their ages. The tutor will work one-on-one and/or with both students and document their progress for submission to the children’s school.
This is a full-time, long-term temporary position. Hours during travel will generally fall on Mondays through Fridays with flexibility appreciated. Experience in education as a tutor or in a classroom setting is essential, and candidates with heavy travel experience will be prioritized. The perfect candidate would come be a teacher with a few years experience from a private or prep school such as Cate, Thatcher, Phillips, Exeter, Andover, Dunn or a recent college graduate from a notable University in a gap year.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Use curriculum and other materials pertaining to subject matter
- Set lesson goals and milestones
- Provide a safe and loving environment for the child to learn and grow
- Be a positive role model and mentor to children
- Be open to discovering educational opportunities as your days and weeks unfold
- Collaborate with parents to evaluate student needs as related to the travel itinerary
- Prepare for lessons by gathering associated materials or setting up equipment
- Create lessons to reinforce on location experiences
- Plan creative learning activities designed to foster growth and engagement
- Adjust lessons to advance skills when necessary
- Provide timely, specific, and actionable feedback
- Pay extra attention to problems and subjects student struggles with and develop plans accordingly
- Document progress to discuss with parents and educators
Requirements and Qualifications
- A valid passport
- Non smoker
- A positive, engaging, outgoing and adventurous spirit with a desire for travel, adventure and different cultures!
- Recent teaching experience in elementary school, preferably a private elementary school or private prep high school or accredited summer camps
- Physically fit to participate in various sports and activities and must be able to swim – athletic experience in high school or college or equivalent skiing, surfing or tennis background
- Charismatic and outgoing with a good sense of humor
- A true team player
- Trustworthy and responsible
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills – Effective communicator and an excellent listener who takes direction well
- A spirit of fun, adventure and gratitude
- Associate or Bachelors degree
- Flexibility, adaptability, and strong multi-tasking skills
- Understanding of subject matter relevant to students’ needs
- Strong organizational skills and effective time management
- Flexible and willing to be adventurous